Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Joy of Volunteering

     


        It’s a wide variety of volunteers we see every day at the Las Vegas catholic worker. You have the old and the young. There are grandparents, mothers, fathers, children, brothers and sisters, all types of family members. There are Students from CSN, UNLV, differing high schools, middle schools, and once in a while those in elementary. There are many different organizations, churches, charities, and service groups. There are bankers, retired principles, union workers, teachers, chefs, entrepreneurs, and even the domesticate housewives. There are volunteers from all walks of life, and it is apparent in their mannerisms, characteristics, vocabulary, and dress. But, there is one thing that brings them together; The hopes of doing something good, to share a smile, and wish to make a difference even if just for an hour, even if just to one person.  It’s great to see so many people come together and show kindness and love, especially because the many people in search of a hand or a warm meal come from all different walks of life as well. The people waiting in line with a smile every morning have done things and lived lives similar to the ones we are living, they just have stumbled, by choice or by circumstance, into something many of us have not nor will ever experience. 

        In the short amount of time it takes to help those around us that are in need we can learn many things about ourselves, about others, and about life. It is an eye opening experience and can open your mind to many things if you allow it to. Knowing that you are selflessly giving up less than an hour of your day to make a difference in the life or lives of others is a simple thing, and can be very rewarding.
       This month Shar Berroyer, Alpha Xi Beta's secretary and fulltime student shared her experience and what she thinks of volunteering with Las Vegas Catholic Worker.
 
       Soup and a Smile is an amazing event where the community can go help the Catholic Workers to serve food to the homeless.  I know that sounds very simple and like what a lot of people do but now I understand why.  You see, many of us take for granted the fact that we have homes. Many of us drive cars and we are able to pay for the insurance to do so. We know where our next meal is going to come from and we know how we are going to cook it. We also know that we have a warm bed waiting for us before we go to sleep each night. These people don’t, they don’t even know when they are going to be able to take a shower. Some people are there because they have issues and you just assume that they are unable to function in society. Some have been hit hard by the down fall of our great nation’s economy and some have just never been shown how to live. By sharing this small act of kindness it helps give them hope in a sometimes hopeless world. It is hard for me to describe how serving breakfast for these wonderful people makes me feel. It fills my heart with an amazing love for my fellow man. For me, I know that what I am doing is right and the time I spend helping these individuals is time well spent. I am a full time student, have a job and a family and like so many others I am crunched for time. In this instance time seems to go out the window and before I realize it breakfast is over and it is time to go clean up. The time I spend helping I have found does not cut into my study time or anything else that I need to do in my life. To see their smiles and to hear their “Thank you’s” is enough to bring me back week after week.


No comments:

Post a Comment