Monday, October 25, 2010

Here's to Weathering

      


       The weather has been wonderful this week, in my eyes at least. I love the rain; I love the clouds, the wind and the cold. When i stepped out of my warm vehicle into the cold wet rain on Wednesday I felt like a kid again, wanting to run and jump into the first puddle I could get my feet into. I knew I would enjoy standing in the rain as i dished out bowls of soup, but I didn’t know what to expect from those waiting in the line wet and hungry. I thought there might be some hostility, some hatred and bitterness towards the cold. But, I didn’t hear any one complain about the weather. We all seemed to be enjoying out first storm of the season together, warm bowls of soup and hot tea in hand we continued on like it was any other day as the lightning lit up the sky around us. 
        As nice as the weather was to stand out in and watch the rain drops bring a new look to the dry desert around us, I realized I wouldn’t want to stand out in it all day. I loved being able to turn my heater on and warm up my feet on the drive back to my warm dry house. I realize that my love of the rain is in big part to the fact that i do not have to be in it, it is an option for me. However, for those numerous people that might not have an escape from the cold I had anticipated the opposite from their point of view, but they seemed to enjoy it as much as I did.
       It’s an easy thing to take what you have for granted on a daily basis. It’s easy to enjoy the rain storms and lightning from behind the windows of our heater blasting living rooms. Life and the many things we have in it are precious; our loved ones, our homes, our blankets, and our fuzzy socks. So, this week as we watch the wandering dark clouds that bring us that smell of the clean rain let remember to be happy for the many things we have.

Abriana Foster wrote on her expereince of volunteering with Soup and a Smile.
       The most amazing experience in the world is giving back to the community. Last Saturday, I was given the opportunity to feed the homeless with Phi Theta Kappa the honor society. Most people have forgotten that blessings are not materialistic in nature – they are simple and rare in our current society. Offering people sugar and cups for their coffee made me realize how fortunate I was to have the friends, family, and the place that I live in. It helped me to understand that it is best to appreciate what we do have and no matter how difficult things may become that it is necessary to have a great heart and to constantly give back to your community. I challenge everyone to pass on these beliefs so that the world can become a better place.


No comments:

Post a Comment